Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Three Paragraphs

I have much, perhaps, to communicate. But, despite a facility with words, few seem to understand what they mean. Words mustn't always be read with the mind; there are other ways of knowing and reading.

When asked about my artwork, I'm often at a loss for words. Pick something I've made. It's an object. There are concepts integrated into that object that interest me. But this isn't meant to be an intellectual exercise. Most often it's about the experience of creating, the experience of interacting, how the concepts that interest me play into the final object. The object is something that can be appreciated and discovered long after it's acquired.

Today I recieved a somewhat frantic phone call from the GC with a poorly concieved question. After considering the situation, it seemed best to talk to the roofer after explaining the situation to my PM. When my PM returned, he'd already spoken to the roofer and worked everything out. What interests me was that my PM said simply, "I trust the guy."

1 comment:

Jon said...

"...Words mustn't always be read with the mind; there are other ways of knowing and reading.

When asked about my artwork, I'm often at a loss for words. Pick something I've made. It's an object..."

Very true. Words are inherently about thoughts, and thoughts, are well, just private sensations. Describing one's own work of art? How boring! If you were trying to express something suited for words, you would've used words, right? Sculpture is "show" not "tell." Just like the Universe, the greatest objet d'art there is.