Friday, July 07, 2006

Is reading useful?

A conversation on Andrew's blog nudged me into sharing a few thoughts.

Reading (in the sense of spiritual reading and study) would seem to do is generate expectations, and I question whether that actually impedes experience. We can really only do one thing at once, so I also question whether time spent in intensive study might actually be better spent, well, experiencing! There is also the opportunity to (consciously or not) shy away from experience and take refuge in vicarious living through text.

Couldn't tell you, though; can only take one path, not compare two. I'm not sure whether it is "better" to go charging right off the edge of the known and drop into into a world nobody'd ever mentioned existing, with no warning whatsoever... not a course I am recommending. (Because anybody gets to choose?) No framework, no means of communication, no turning back.

So a middle ground would be to read, study, sure. But take it lightly. It's not definitive, nor universally applicable. Might be useful later, these bits and pieces of ideas, to have some words to frame an experience; a place to rest, something to give a little form to the nebulous and ineffable. Might not.

"Nobody can question your experience." -Pastor Luke

"God will not meet you in the way you expect Him to." -Dave Short

So quit reading my blog already: live - drink deeply.

7 comments:

isaiah said...

"... But take it lightly. It's not definitive, nor universally applicable."

It's not? Dammit!

Yes, middle ground here...don't go off the edge- I'm learning. Over the edge is fine too, it's all good! Just return every now and then to inform the locals.

Reading is useful, but so is experiencing what we think we have learned and know or don't know.

I like Pastor Luke's quote- OH! but doesn't almost everyone try to question your experience?

OK- leaving your blog to head to the nearest bar (you did say drink deeply).

Andrew said...

Julie:

1. I am thrilled to have a link to a conversation on my blog in which dried turds figure so prominently. Thank you.

2. I think your proposed middle way is good. Read lightly!

Trev Diesel said...

"There is also the opportunity to (consciously or not) shy away from experience and take refuge in vicarious living through text."

Been there! Done that!

Last year I gave up reading spiritual books for Lent. On my blog I posted this:

"I'm realizing that I am becoming a slave to them (books) ... somehow believing that I'm having valid spiritual experiences by reading someone else's words rather than actually experiencing these truths myself. I am (in Montaigne's words) "overwatering the plant." While, Jnana Yoga is the path to God through WISDOM and it indeed takes knowledge FIRST to become Wisdom, one can very easily stop at Knowledge. This is what I have done. I keep accumulating books and thoughts and concepts but very rarely actualize these truths in my life."

Thank goodness, since then I have begun an awareness practice that has allowed me to EXPERIENCE life rather than READ ABOUT life.

Cheers!

anonymous julie said...

Isaiah... silly! Yes, of course, I've written here about experience and been told what it is... because, obviously, somebody else would know. Sigh.

It seems helpful to have a lot of experiences, nebulous as they are, and to have those nebulas somewhat nebulously related to each other... before tying them back into the realm of language and logic. I question the usefulness of informing anything - I question what it means to you (or anybody else) to read when I try to get at an experience with words. I ran right off the edge without looking or knowing.

The experience is of much more interest to me... I've given up on making anything of it because that's a nice path to a nervous breakdown. Have one for me, okay?

Andrew; only the best! I think the middle way is safest but perhaps not as effective as blindly going. But, of course, you've been reading, so that can't happen to you.

Wow, Trev, well written, and thank you. Knowledge by reading is nothing next to being a student of experience... but you know that :)

CE said...

Well, at least we can compare, expect or avoid some experiences.
I'll take the time to read it again and further and think about it. At another time.

CE said...

By the way, don't drink too deeply. It's not good for your health. It's addictive too, like anything else.

anonymous julie said...

imemine; it's dance lightly, hold loosely, drink deeply; a good trio, don't you think?