Saturday, October 14, 2006

Tired.

While I was still flying under the Christian banner, I felt like maybe it wasn't good to enjoy the world. From gorgeous moonrises to lovely objects, any of which I'd enjoy and just as soon share with anybody else so they could, too. It didn't seem to mesh with "in the world but not of it" to enjoy the world rather than live in self-denial. Despite anything that might have been thought or said, though, I still chose to enjoy the world rather than despise it, and knew that it was All Right to do so strongly enough to not worry about what anybody might say.

That part hasn't changed. The banner has. Now I'm befuddled; this world seems to be, but isn't quite. Jon put it so well in his latest entry: It's a strange thing to know that the world isn't real, yet to live in it, and love it. Yesterday, in response to some question from Peter (firm owner/team captain/older brother/recipient of my honest commentary) I said that I haven't been able to get engaged or take interest in anything lately, anything. I don't know why not. That generally the silliness and pointlessness of everything is amusing, and I don't mind playing along, but that it hasn't been, lately.

It really has been tiring.

And I'm well aware that even that is imaginary. It doesn't even seem real. Everything has been surreal. Which, naturally, makes it more difficult to engage as though it is real. But what is most real to me for the moment still resides in my imagination; while it doesn't seem wise for me to reside there, I do carry around the things that aren't-yet for comfort, like a stuffed animal. Aren't-yet but ought-to-be and thus, will-be.

And then there's the tragedy that people hurt people. It doesn't sadden me because I still just don't understand it. There's no grief; I just cannot understand. Of course these things seem like good ideas, and I can follow that much, but it's also got the shortsightedness of a child with no fuller understanding. And feeling as though any sort of violence is unlikely (at best) to really accomplish anybody's objective. Not that I am claiming to understand, or even to fully grasp the vastness of what is not understood.

Sometime in the past, Isaiah asked if I could be all right with that - however things were seeming to be, at that moment. And I couldn't, nor was I okay with not being okay with it, but I was okay with all of the preceding, as a whole. And further in the past, I was bogged by something (heaven knows what) and Shea suggested that I might just go ahead and sit in the mud, roll in it even, except that she wrote it more beautifully, the essence of which was, that it's okay to be having that sort of experience and to fully enter into it rather than trying to stay on the fringes because I think I'm not "supposed" to have those sorts of moments in life. Or at least that's what I remember now, years later. So in reading Jon's blog, where he wrote a couple of weeks ago about being lonely and then more recently about being tired, and in observing myself - for the moment utterly adrift - I can't help but think that even this is okay, and to try to accept the experience, rather than fight, even while feeling about so tentatively for the direction of the new wind.

From another perspective, I do feel as though I'm out of my groove - and perhaps I am - but wonder what, if anything, is to be done about that. It's not just a funk-induced thought. But I'd only be trying to get back to a place I've never left, only seemed to. Even a deliberate attempt to change my perspective to the one I think I ought to have, seems artificial at best: I don't want to feel or think or see a certain way just because I have decided that I ought to. Though deeply questioning what is real anyway, I'm hesitant to push anything, instead preferring to observe what happens and learn to move with whatever comes my way.

13 comments:

Shan said...

For a moment, I think it's reasonable to accept that the illusion is real, by birtue of our faculties of sight of and hearing and smell and touch being unable to detect otherwise. But if that much is only superficial, we'll have to assign something as being real, something in ourselves being in our own control.

Then when it does feel surreal, we can use that to isolate the things which are the least real, and discover what is real by process of elimination. In doing so, we'd probably eliminate everything and everyone, until there's nothing but ourselves. If we do all share a reality, we may not need to share a story. Only discovering that my place is all about me, and it's possible that I may get that much attention.

What we can't understand, like violence, is a feeling coming from within. We can assign all kinds of logical reasons for it, but then it breaks down into these feelings. And it may just be the most legitimate, intestinal instinct. From there you decide to follow and accept that feeling as truth.

We could spend the whole time savouring different experiences, but I think it's the feelings that we need to come back to, to hold on to. The only thing that could possibly be real, but that belief may just be another feeling. Leaving us to accept something, likely distant from any mark, trying to enjoy our imperfections.

Paul said...

"I don't want to feel or think or see a certain way just because I have decided that I ought to." Interesting!

I find life to be most satisfying when I discard others opinions, belief systems, shoulds, oughts, duties, obligations, responsibilities, etc, etc ,etc. My life is a gift to be enjoyed and I give myself to that enjoyment. I try to treat others like I want to be treated and I feel good. I observe other people and learn from their successes and failures. I try to avoid the extremes of too much selfishness or too much selflessness. It works for me.

I hope you find what works for you. Best wishes.

isaiah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
isaiah said...

(Having somehow lost the frist comment...and trying to recreate it (you'll get the first one anyway on your email...)

You are being patience, nurturing, witnessing to your being and realizing much- all at the same time. Go with your feelings... and remember sometimes normal isn't normal at all....

I like this quote from Maharshi

"The realized person weeps with the weeping,
laughs with the laughing,
plays with the playful,
sings with those who sing,
keeping time with the song...

What does he lose?"

It's all good.

Larry Clayton said...

Julie, my dear, I don't accept the idea that you're "no longer flying under the Christian banner". I think what you mean is that you (very properly) rejected the particular "banner" that you had been 'flying under'. There are many banners out there, some of them Christian, and others less so. When you meet the one that's true to God and right for you, you will experience Pentecost--- and no longer ever be tired (in that sense).

It's coming. I'm sure of it.

anonymous julie said...

Shan, thank you so much. Some philosopher argued that it appears to be real, and that he therefore would behave as though it was. It certainly is convenient to assign something as being real. "In doing so, we'd probably eliminate everything and everyone, until there's nothing but ourselves." If that. Logic is (to me) our attempts at finding order in our experiences, as a way to understand them. In returning to feelings there's a danger of ignoring the riches of the present moment, but I think that can be okay, too...

I hope everybody reads Shan's comment... respond if you like.

Paul, thanks, I am just feeling my way through this thing but at least the process can be itself...

Isaiah, thank you for the encouragement. I feel like hell at the moment. Allergies. Empathy; good quote.

Larry, perhaps it's the real Christian banner, then, but saying that would start wars. (And maybe it's not; I'm not sure if I care.) Thank you for your encouragement.

Dan said...

Here's where the problem of causality comes in. Oh, wait, never mind...

Trev Diesel said...

Your comments about not "pushing" or trying to "do something" about being out of your groove made me think of this:

The actor Hume Cronyn was making a movie once with Alfred Hitchcock. Hitchcock was notorious as a fussbudget, so it was a surprise what happened one day. In Cronyn’s own words:

"We were working on a problem with a scene. There were a lot of things to consider- lighting, staging, pacing and the like. We were up very late struggling to find the right way to do it. Finally, when we seemed close to the solution, Hitchcock… started telling jokes, silly, junior-high-type stuff, and got us all lost again. Later, I asked him why, when we were so close to solving the problem, did he choose that moment to get us off track by joking around. He paused, and then said something I’ll never forget. He said, 'You were pushing. It never comes from pushing.'"

CE said...

Yes, many times I feel like saying that. I am tired. At least my eyes and back are tired.

Jon said...

You put it so eloquently, Julie.
One mind. Your thoughts are my thoughts and your feelings mine.

tao1776 said...

Has the world ever known peace? It appears to me that the world is the winepress of the cosmos with us grapes stuck in the middle. Without the press, we would never find our wine, our light, our Buddha within. Remember, the Kingdom of God is within you...and its the press of the world that brings it to fruition.
Don't you think?

anonymous julie said...

Dan, oh, so that's it...

Trev, thanks for the encouragement!

Travis, now that I'm wading through Chicago bureaucracy on a regular basis, it's become best to hold loosely, if at all, to any expectation of how things should go. You're right, though... expectations, attachments, often result in suffering, in some form or another.

anonymous julie said...

Imemine, my eyes are tired and it's obscuring figuring out if anything else is.

Thanks, Jon; just trying to be truthful.

Tim, I'm glad to see you again. I'm not sure that peace is possible, or likely, or dare I say it, desirable? People seem to enjoy having conflict, percieved or otherwise, as a motivator. Some people. I disagree that the world brings out what is within; if anything, it seems to obscure or deny that...