Thursday, February 01, 2007

And then I remembered...

...why I'm not on the chinchilla forums anymore.

If you were around for Five Things you might recall that chinchilla breeding is one of my hobbies. As with any other hobby, there are online forums dedicated to these things. I needed to contact a friend through one of them, and made the mistake of reading a few conversations. The negativity is sickening. Not that it's different than any other forum. Same group of alpha people, same spray, same bashing, same talking down, same shit, different topic. (Religious people are fantastic at condemning people they don't agree with. Who knew there was a religion called Chinchilla?) Good to be away from that.

The furries are fun, even though I've got a lot going on. Now if only I could get the cages to clean themselves!

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'm going to put together some paperwork so I can have yet another adventure in the zoning department tomorrow. It's certainly more fun than being upset over what I can more easily ignore.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Oh, wow, Julie. I could go on for hours about this exact same thing on forum related to parenting. You sign up because you have a desire to connect with like-minded people about a shared amazing experience, maybe learn a thing or two, and what you get instead is immersion in an insular sub-sub-subculture of petty narcissism, overinflated egos with no sense of mutuality or accountability, and strongly-held opinions loudly passing themselves off as absolute truth...

...hmm, now that you mention it, that DOES sound a lot like religion!

:)

As you say, best to let it all go by. Have fun at the zoning department.

Dan said...

Uh huh!

anonymous julie said...

Thanks Andrew. Zoning was fine that time. Oddly enough I'm about to go back down (and it's -1F, -20 windchill here). Brrr.

Dan - yup!