Sunday, October 12, 2008

Brush with greatness

From February 6, 2007.

Today's daily peace quote reminds me of one person in particular.

In the second semester of my final year of architecture school, I had the priviledge and pleasure of being instructed for two weeks by Australian architect Glenn Murcutt. This is a guy worth imitating. One-man firm with a waiting list of years and a Pritzker prize (architecture's greatest honor) to his name. At the same time, he's a delightful and kind person, an honest critic who showed the greatest respect to his students. My project got off to a very slow start: much to my surprise, he told the class, jurors, and observers at the end of our two weeks that he first was afraid he was going to lose me. And then he ended with sincere and wonderful complements to my project.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Smart people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
- Mark Twain

No comments: