Wednesday, April 11, 2007

If you want something done right...

You really do have to do it yourself, or have competent and caring help. Last night, I had neither; the other two people loading the soda kiln were indifferent to placing work and mostly wanted to get it over with. I'd have been happier if they left. My only request was that none of my sets get half-loaded; I'd rather wait a week. A set of 5 bowls had 2 left in the cold.

But I won't dwell on that. Last night I put some thoughts in my notebook - mostly relating to how frustrating it is to be surrounded by indifference - and I'll record them on some of my art later. There's irony; the same people who sparked my complaints might be putting them in the kiln, or admiring them later. Such is the nature of art?

However, my work from last week came out beautifully. Three of us had some experience, worked together well, and cared about what we were doing. It was a pleasure. I'm continuing to make stuff, and have applied for two more show/fair thingies throughout the summer. It's exciting to produce a lot of work because so much is learned from observation and experience.

Also on the indifference front, a small water main leak on my block has become a gushing break after 10 days of neglect. So much for calling the city to report it (twice). It's both painful and angering to see how much water is being wasted. I blame indifference. I may be wrong.

Here's a larger-than-life-size photo I took of five cups from last week's firing. They're individually hand-carved porcelain tumblers.

4 comments:

Trevor Harden said...

Your tumblers are beautiful and the manner in which the photograph was taken adds an extra touch.

Life CAN be frustrating when it seems no one around you has the same amount of care/concern as yourself for something. I've felt it too. (Then again, I've been frustrated at a lot lately).

Hoping your new fair/show/thingies pan out!

isaiah said...

These are so cool! I want some...not that I could ever actually use them to drink from.

Jon said...

Unlike Brother Sk8terboi, I don't hope they "pan out." Rather, I hope they stand upright, keep their shape, preserve your beautiful leaf engravings, and bring joy to all who see them! (And that your future experiences with the kiln kids are more positive.)

Sorry, Trev! I just couldn't help myself!

anonymous julie said...

Thanks Trev! Sometimes I wonder if maybe I should lower my expectations.

Tommy, you're *supposed* to drink from them. That's the point- beautiful stuff for daily use! I have one at hand right now...

Jon, I hope I get in to the shows and am trying not to be anxious; I've met my goal of a whopping one show.

We think that my spring work thus far would fill a kiln by itself. How's that for wild?