Friday, April 27, 2007

On meditation, enlightenment, and existence.

In response to Andrew's post:

It's a fantastic question. I think that from the outside, people have expectations for what meditation is... if one fails to clear one's mind, then the meditation is looked upon as a failure... but is there some place to reach, or is it just showing up and trying that counts? Meditation is called a "practice" for a reason - as is architecture - some episodes of practice are more "successful" than others - but they are all absolutely successful at being practice.

Likewise, I think there are ideas of what enlightenment is - some kind of ongoing mythic higher awareness. You know what? I think that's crap. I think that even so-called enlightened people have their unenlightened moments. Some are more aware of it than others. Enlightenment, too, is a practice - it's the practice of awareness. We're all practicing it perfectly. Are you, right now, missing something, some cosmic flow of energy that I can detect and you cannot? Maybe - but why bother worrying about what you're missing? Keep looking around and you will continue to be aware. If it's not there, then it's not there.

If anybody expects that enlightenment is a perfect beatific state, or if it is beatific vision itself - well, that's one thing that enlightenment may be.

Actually, I think it's what enlightenment is. But recognising enlightenment as who you are, where you are, and that you are, right now, at your computer screen (okay, look around the room for a second) experiencing it... recognition is another thing.

And constant recognition is still another. And it's also a practice. I think there are people who are called "enlightened" who are just as clueless as you and I, but have had some experiences with longer views. And enlightenment doesn't seem any different, it's just a continuation of everything else, and just as normal. It's just a broadening of the horizon.

What do I expect of meditation?

God is a label, a word, a handle, something that's attached to a much larger concept, a larger experience; it's specific, and universal. Nonduality, too... points to the same thing (and isn't as sticky for me as "God", with all the trappings attached to that). Or sitting in the dark feeling nothing and wishing to feel something... for me, that's generally indicitive of too much effort.

To experience anything in meditation... for me, the practice is of letting go, of relaxing. The only thing I'm trying to do (if trying is the right word) is to stop. It's probably more accurate to say that I am not stopping, but recognizing that I am distinct from all the wheels I'm keeping in motion.

I, too, have mixed senses on what is, what isn't, why I'm sitting there. At times I want to insist there's nothing more, but find that the boundless ocean is still there whenever I wish to plumb its depths.

And at times I'm befuddled as to what that has to do with life, or, life as I know it... the myriad of relationships and stuff that, if illusory, are a very persistent illusion. They're a shell of ice on the ocean; at times transparent, thin, at times opaque, utterly solid, at times slush, making boundaries indecipherable.

This morning, my mind rested on the phrase (yeah, sorry, no half-lotus, just riding my bike around and idly musing, but still, that's meditation) "it is what it is." It's so simply and deeply true.

15 comments:

Andrew said...

J,

More thoughts over on my blog. But I absolutely love the "shells of ice on the ocean" image. That's just it.

Thanks for your response and for encouraging me to expand on what I'd written. It's the kind of exchange that makes me love blogging in the first place and keep doing it at all.

jbmoore said...

Why even ask why? Why have any expectations or try to explain what is an experience for you? All that counts is the experience and the disciplining of your mind to dissociate thoughts from perceptions. First you perceive and then you label it, etc. But many people confuse their thoughts with their perceptions, or worse, color their perceptions with their beliefs or ideas. There is one passage in the New Testament where Jesus was wrong and he admitted it. It's not that Enlightened people don't make mistakes, they do. They just don't make anything or any one into a problem. They have no ego that will take offense or needs to defend itself from being wrong. Hence, they are more sane than most people. The worst thing people did to the Buddha was to deify him. The same could be said for Jesus. What did the Buddha call Enlightenment? He called it the end of suffering. He made it a negative so that people couldn't turn it into something that it wasn't, which the majority of people will do because they substitute the idea for the experience. You've reminded me in the past to experience rather than label. Always good advice. As far as the depth of Beingness, it simply is recognizing that all is transient, but the consciousness that is "you" is the one thing that underlies it all.

Anonymous said...

It is. Whether you allow it or not.

Anonymous said...

Enlightenment is the absence of paranoia whether one is being persecuted or not. It is making peace with your enemies before they bring you to the judge. It is repentance.

isaiah said...

My newest, comfy thought on the big E are these wise words, "Everyone is doing his damnedest to be exactly what he is, and is succeeding perfectly in doing so."

It is what it is.

Watts, bless him, seems to sum it all up rather nicely...

"...this is it! THIS, whatever state you are in- is IT."

Anonymous said...

Progress is everywhere.

Dan said...

Very good!

Trevor Harden said...

"The only thing I'm trying to do (if trying is the right word) is to stop."

Here's what I posted on Andrews blog and think it resonates in part with what you are saying:

"For those who wit without any expectations, the "why bother" is probably this: to be still and identify with emptiness rather than a personality. That doesn't mean you're reaching for enlightenment or trying to meet God, its just... resting in awareness.

Similarly, it can be a training in acceptance. Sit, observe where the mind goes, bring it back, accept what is. Over time you become less reactive in life...

anonymous julie said...

A, I'm glad.

John, all we ever do is wonder why and construct a story that answers the question and coincides with our observations. Or maybe, just watch.

Anonymous1, yep.

Anonymous2, maybe, but not exclusively.

Tommy, thank you. I love Watts quotes that you and Trev have used, but haven't (I think) read him myself. Have a favorite?

Anonymous3, and??

Dan, uh huh!

Trev, yes, that goes along nicely. :)

jbmoore said...

J,

It depends. Objective watchers try to test their stories and see if they are false. Mythmakers tell a story with a kernel of truth and then over time, people forget about the kernel and think the entire story is truth. Everything we see is false from a microscopic point of view and yet, it's tangibly real to the macroscopic senses and from a macroscopic point of view.The Buddha said to find your own truth, question everything.

Anonymous said...

I quickly passed along your text and all I kept thinking about was: why search a purpose in meditation when all it ever wants to achieve is to get rid of every purpose imaginable? I don't meditate for I believe my own mind to be strong enough to clear itself from all troubles that are coherent to my existence. This does not imply that I look down on others who do meditate.

What I want to say is that you must decide what to expect. Do you believe in some supreme being? Than just go for it! Don't let others influence you. I, as someone inspired by Taoism, don't believe in this supreme being. I believe in myself. That's my meditation, from morning to evening.

It's something everyone has to make up for his/her own...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for thinking out loud. I have these moments too when I just try to understand it all. But I have just done my meditation and just really feel there is nothing left to say...I guess at this moment for me that is the answer to all questions.

Like your site btw!!

Take care, Francisca.

anonymous julie said...

John, if repeated testing of the observation doesn't produce reason to change the story, then it's a story that explains many repeated observations. When the pattern changes or more is found, then the story doesn't work. Changes in the understanding and observation of atomic structure come to mind.

Bert, one purpose of meditation might be to erase purpose. One of mine is simply to rest upon an idea, a problem, an ocean, whatever. I've found that a lot of my mental processes are unconscious, and really they just need time to be allowed to happen, and some freed up brainpower. It's untrue that I must decide what to expect. Having no expectation, I've found, allows for greater awareness and observation. I first learned this lesson as a competitive epeeist.

Francisca - I really like what you wrote. Thanks for coming by (how did you find me?) and I hope you'll be back.

Anonymous said...

Julie, expecting nothing is also some form of expectations, no? :)

Anyhow, my post wasn't meant as offensive as it sounds (now that I read it again...). I was just thinking out loud about the differences between me and you.

anonymous julie said...

Bert - holding no expectation is different than expecting nothing! I wasn't offended by what you wrote, perhaps a little confused. :)