Sunday, May 11, 2008

Truth and authority, dreams and experience.

"They must find it difficult, those that take authority as truth, instead of truth as the authority."

Nothing else has quite so neatly encapsulated my largest, erm, objections, with religion.

In other news; a couple of weeks ago I spent the weekend firing a wood kiln. I enjoyed several interesting conversations with one fellow firer, which circled around ways of seeing and experiencing. The conversations made me reconsider the notion of astral travel. He's been playing in other realms, he said, for so long that sometimes he doesn't know if he's here or there, without checking. The notion is one I had considered and discarded because, well, it's not real.

While completely overlooking the concurrent thought that this realm isn't real, either. Well, is and isn't, but that's beside the point. I again set the thing on a back burner.

As if to insist upon the point, a daily quote from the same week: "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." Poe.

Huh.

So I wondered, why not have fun in dreaming? My dream life tends to be a bit more fantastic than this one; I wouldn't mind if the present would fall into step, rather than the other way around. In any event, the question's back on the table.

Oh, and it seemed that somebody was looking for me last night. By the by.

7 comments:

Jon said...

Life is but a dream!

Yes, the metaphor continues... 2500 years on. You're absolutely right, the dream is to be enjoyed.

We don't hate Maya (at least I don't). Maya is better translated as "magic trick" than illusion (and is in Byrom's trans. of the Ashtavakra Gita). Furthermore, those words come from the same roots: maya and magic.

Dreams are often beautiful, rapturous, insightful, intriguing. However, dreamers are usually acted upon by the figures in their dreams more than they choose to act themselves.

From what I understand through my teacher and my own occasional glimpses, the awakening we seek isn't to escape the world and be aware of it's "unreality" but to be aware of it's true nature, which isn't "as" real as well, something else that apparently defies explanation.

To use the language of the metaphor, the purpose of enlightenment is to be a lucid dreamer. In the world, but not of it, as another teacher once said. To be fully engaged in this wonderful creation of Maya, and have the power to act fully and consciously in it, fully in tune with the mystery of our being.

And for some, the dream is a nightmare. An awakened dreamer is in a better position to help the dreamer who's in torment watching Maya's show.

V said...

I'm dreaming all the time. And I don't want to stop.

jbmoore said...

When body and soul are rid of the dust of this world of dreams our understanding is awakened and Truth perceived.

- Wall poem at North Peak Temple

V said...

I'm dreaming of going to Venice with my girlfriend.
When it's safe.
She wants to stay with me as soon as she goes to the University close to where I live.
Life is but a dream. It's frightening.

V said...

And I just found out she plays piano for her church choir.
And her favourite book is Rosemary's Baby.

said...

What's real?

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LubuSAgB5s


.

jbmoore said...

You've been tagged Jules (http://jbmoore61.blogspot.com/2008/06/meme-of-seven.html).

Many Blessings,

John