Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Self-identification

How do we identify ourselves? What do those labels mean? Are they universally understood, or best among a group?

In answering a post on somebody's blog, I identified myself as Julie.

I resist labelling myself... except with the name that I've used for years. Perhaps it helps that a friend will describe something that suits me well (often an article of clothing) as "very Julie". So my feints at labels provide many more questions than answers.

Maybe God was onto something there. I am who I am, who I have been, and who I will be.


Author's note: This should have been posted fully thirteen days ago. Oops!

1 comment:

CE said...

It's ok to identify yourself.
But don't become attach to your identification.
If you forget who you are, what can possibly happen?
The first time you can become confused, so you start groping for an answer. Who am I? It could be enlightening?
I you shed all your identifications, images, beliefs, etc., what will happen?
Will losing your images, beliefs, etc., little by little lead to expansion of consciousness little by little?
Let me give you an example:
If you lose your sense of nationality, race, and cultural identity, what sort of person would you become? If you stop being an American, white, etc. how would you feel about Americans, Europeans, Asians, blacks, yellow, etc.
You can try these thought experiments. What if you lose your Christian beliefs, would you become an atheist?. If you become an atheist, how would you feel about believers or religious people? Just think about it.