Tuesday, June 06, 2006

This means something.

Epistle to a friend departing

There! I saw it, love, light in your eyes, joyful lines. On a few very dark nights, I thought to wake you, not for words, but just to see. I studied them to guess your age, too well, burned into my mind. But I did not wake you, instead, looked at your car, gazed up at your window, remembered, let hope live on.

I know you are leaving, but not when, just soon. A pang of sadness, to see your car no longer on my block, the car that let me know, as they say, God's in his heaven, and all's well in the world: it reminded me of you. Perhaps our memories are stronger than our selves, a promise perhaps not filled to the brim, but, perhaps, just enough: I'll always have your smiling eyes.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Does it mean something? Or does it mean Everything and Nothing at once?

What I mean is...this sounds like a description of pure Experience, transcending (and including!) meaning. A description of being in a particular moment that holds and is held by countless moments. Maybe? I don't know. It's wonderful to read, anyway.

anonymous julie said...

Yes, Andrew, and well said. I suppose this is a reflection, upon one conversation with a near stranger (that I have better described here than then) that I wouldn't see again until the end of May... with a little astonishment upon realizing that it had been deeply comforting, then (life had just turned upside down), and since.

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading.

Jim said...

My goodness!, remarkable, the changes.