Thursday, February 15, 2007

Because I can think of nothing else...

On with the career stuff.

So, this morning I'm working on construction drawings for a really wild house we're doing. It's pretty high end... and the client is a repeat and having us work on them now because we have, literally, nothing else to do around here. Which is nice of them. There's some work on the horizon, and my boss wants to keep me, but I'm not confident the workflow will stay high. (And I want to leave.)

Because I no longer care about this job, or about not getting into arguments with my boss, (oddly enough I like him a lot but now I also think the way we do our work is lousy, even though I understand why), I'm doing the drawings my way, putting on the information that I think will make our architectural intentions clear to the people building it. Working at my pace, which results in the best quality drawings as well as overall speed. And I actually feel pretty good about that.

What with my sudden realization that I really, really like detailing, I wonder if I'm turning into a techno-weenie. But I still love design. I'm just the kind of person that would have an idea for, say, a really cool sink, then learn how to fabricate it even though I've never done anything of the sort before, then go for it. My favorite projects have been the ones where I knew it so well I felt like I could put it together myself. That's a whole lot more likely at this other place.

Tomorrow's interview is for a fulltime position for a firm that is known for restoration work but also does some government work, which assures an ongoing workload. As much as I like doing houses, I actually prefer the level of quality of drawings that commercial work requires. No matter where I go next... three years, minimum. This'll be the third March in a row where I switch jobs. Winter gets to me, but I have legitimate reasons too... winter just makes them more obnoxious and perhaps motivating.

Since Trev brought it up... people in other industries, what's it like? I'd enjoy learning - write a post and leave me a link!

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, as we all know. Mine was memorable because we went out for dinner for the first time in a month or so, and just sat and talked. We've both been busy, but it's funny how it's possible to spend a lot of time having fun with with somebody, without having much in the way of conversation.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

"write a post and leave me a link!"

Your wish is my command.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're doing things your way, Julie.

I can talk to you about my previous job, but I don't think anyone would like to hear about that one, so I'm just going to skip this one.
On the other hand, I do understand what you're trying to say with your techno-head. It's my dream as well, just to think something out and design and manufacture it myself. Who knows, one day, we come together and wipe out Ikea? :)

anonymous julie said...

Thanks Andrew! Um... you wouldn't happen to have a double lot on the north side of Chicago, would you?

Bert - I think I am, at least! We might be shelving that project to take on another that'll be a couple weeks' work.

We should definitely wipe out IKEA... or get them to sell our stuff. They have a good distribution system, so that might be easier!

By the way, everyone... interview went well.

Kevin Beck said...

Hi Julie,
I love to hear from creative people. like you. The process of getting an idea and then bringing it to fruition is fascinating.

Later,
Kevin

anonymous julie said...

Hi Kevin - thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it.