Tuesday, February 20, 2007

This morning silence hung in the air

This morning silence hung in the air
for long moments as I walked down the block
Layered over by the sound of my footsteps,
occasional skid on unseen ice
the sound of birds calling
And the wind exhaling gently through the city.

Running footsteps - someone for the train
Cars start passing again
Layers of the usual noises, and the moments end

It was for a minute as though I were the only human here
Amongst the newly-abandoned ruins of the city
With nothing to hear but sweet quiet
And the sounds of nature
But no, just a moment's calm
Permeating me still -
And still the birds call.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those moments are great, yet sometimes sad or lonely at the same time for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Really out of character, for the power of it,
But I knew it all the time.

Rock Star Architect INDEED, no doubt.
Sometimes TALENT wears no clothes, when shyness is past.