Friday, February 23, 2007

Now what? Finale, rewritten.

Okay, so stating a bunch of events was a lousy post and didn't come close to saying anything important. What I really want to talk into the ether about is the uncertainties of starting a new job.

So, as we know, I accepted a new job on Monday and I'll be starting a week from Monday. The interview process was speedy, and left me with my head spinning.

Last weekend, all I could think or talk about (and indeed the few days before, too) was the job hunt. Called my folks, went out with S, nearly drove my boyfriend crazy with my obsessing. Comparing the two positions, and not sure really whether it would be a net gain or loss. Hiring somebody after a two hour interview is a little crazy, and so is taking a job on that basis - you really don't know what you're getting into, just what you're told, might not have a feel for the real ins and outs of the company. Maybe I had an inside edge, because I've seen the business end of things, and was able to get more or better information in my interview. Maybe not.

There are still lots of questions - there aren't a lot of rock star architects, but someday I will be one of them... but is this a step in the right direction? or was my decision hasty, to keep the hunting quick? what are the people like, can I bring in a toaster oven, how can I handle the clothing logistics of biking with a minimum amount of effort and extra gear carried but without being gross upon my arrival, will the work be engaging, or fun, will I get to leave the office to do cool stuff (I used a roto-zip to do exploratory surgery on a client's condo yesterday, after all), will I find the situation overall to be pleasant and condusive to the lifestyle I want? After all, it's really all about lifestyle, about the big picture.

So, yeah, I landed a new job at a very respectable small firm, and I hope it goes well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

something tells me you'll fit right in. I don't know you from outside this journal, but from what I've read about you and the way you respond to my blog, I'm quite sure you'll do alright.

In either way, waving over from Belgium to support you :D

Jon said...

Knock 'em dead, baby!

Kevin Beck said...

I can;t wait until you reach Rock Star Status! Please remember us little people. BTW, where did you go to school? I had friends (way back when) in Kent State's architecture program.

Bob said...

I wish you the best of luck in your new job.

anonymous julie said...

Bert, I'll be keeping your premonition in mind (and intentions), and really appreciate the encouragement.

Jon, thanks, they were quite enthusiastic so I hope so... even I went out of my way to explain the limitations in some of my skills...

Kevin, I'm looking forward to it. I actually got accepted to Kent (I'm from Westlake OH) but they never really got in touch with me about open houses or anything... ended up attending Illinois Tech in Chicago, but I like it here, so no doubts, really.

Rob, thanks!