Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Now what? Finale, relief.

Eight days ago, I spoke to a guy at a good firm that has an opening.

Seven days ago I sent my cover letter and resume. The tenses still don't all match, I'd forgotten to correct it. Oops.

Six days ago I returned an email and set up an interview.

Four days ago was the interview; they were enthusiastic about me and as a whole it went well. A bit of self-promotion: I'm talented, I work hard, I have a good attitude, and now I have a good amount of experience. In addition to that I can be polite, funny, relaxed, and generally charming in person, and totally sincere about the whole thing. (I inherited the sincere thing from my dad.)

Yesterday they made me an offer, and I accepted. The offer was no surprise. Recieving the phone call at work was. One of the partners was going out of town today and wanted to be sure we spoke. My boss was polite enough to see the writing on the wall and not ask about it.

Today I discussed it with my boss. He was unsurprised, and it'll work well for him. Things are shaky, and it's a lot more effort to bring in work for two than for one. No hard feelings. I'm relieved.

I'm starting at the new place March 5. Maybe I'll take some time off, or a couple half-days, and go enjoy myself doing ceramics, or something like that.

We now return to your regularly scheduled spurts of spiritual programming. Or, maybe not.

8 comments:

Jon said...

That IS my kind of spiritual news!

Frimmin' at the jimjam! Congratulations! Blessings! Mazel Tov!

agrainofsand said...

congrats

Trevor Harden said...

In my best sk8erboi grunge voice: "Freakin' suhweet!"

Really, that's great news, Julie. Life's a hell of a ride, ya? And the synchronicity of everything working itself out is pretty "suhweet" as well. Many Congrats!

anonymous julie said...

Thanks guys! Trev, you're hilarious. I don't know how spiritual that really is.

Probably should've gone in the post itself, but I forgot... I'm definitely uncertain about this move and have mixed feelings. It's a good firm to have on my pedigree, er, resume, and should be a fine one to be at for three years. But I'm not thrilled about it, as I was upon starting my current job. So I wonder if I should've applied for other positions that I knew about, whether I overlooked the perfect job. In any event, this one will be perfect in its own way, maybe not how I'd envision it.

In any event, the commute is acceptable, the pay is fine, and the work is of good quality - and I can bike to work once it's dry out.

isaiah said...

Great news, J. Enjoy your "down-time" until starting the new position.

FWIW: I just finished an article in the NY Times re: design and construction of modular homes in the 200-500sq. ft. range for those seeking 2nd homes in resort or mountian areas, for those to lessen the impact on the environment. Some very nice & upscale designs, some ranging $200 a sq. ft.

Interesting....and I thought about you.

jbmoore said...

To quote Churchill, "...it's the end of a beginning." On March 5th, there will be a new beginning or phase. And so it goes.

Andrew said...

Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

congratz Julie, I'm happy for you!