Thursday, July 05, 2007

Habitual forgetfulness

An entry on John's blog spurs this one. I've considered writing about (and maybe have mentioned?) a particular trait of mine: I'm forgetful.

Some afternoons I couldn't remember what I ate for breakfast, but it's not that kind of forgetfulness. Those things happen. I don't always set my keys down in the same place, nor my sunglasses or watch. I'm better off when things have a Place and I actually put them There; otherwise I'm dependent upon spotting the wayward object.

No, I just forget what it was like. There was a year when I was quite lonely; from my writing, I'm pretty sure it sucked. Don't remember what it was like, and forgot speedily. There's somebody I'm not friends with anymore; I found a note to a friend that indicates some grievious harm was done, but I can't remember what that was. Just as well. This all is similar to what Andrew talked about awhile ago; I seem to do it constantly.

Who knows what else I've discovered and forgotten! Things are particularly likely to be forgotten if they're written down. For a long time, I've said that I don't need to remember things, but know how to find the information. Maybe that attitude has precipitated forgetfulness. (If the alternative is constant worry that information will be lost, I'll stay on this side of the fence, thank you!) There is so much information in architecture that we're really better off getting it into the drawings - then anybody can find the answer.

But at the same time, I've made some marvelous discoveries on the nature of Things, recorded them (here, generally) and forgotten the incident entirely. Sometimes whatever-it-is gets pretty well internalized, and I forget about life without this now-obvious fact. Other times, the fact and recording are both forgotten.

Things between the meta and minute orders are forgotten as well. There'll be a discussion on something Important, and I may not only forget the contents of the discussion, but sometimes that it happened.

This all amuses me because science thinks the universe might be cyclical, and Tolle says we're all little microcosms of the universe.

Here I am, a happy little universe, forgetful as can be!

(There's probably a briefer and more complete analysis than this - not to mention more elegant! - but then I'd be sitting on the post for weeks and lose the impulse that entertained me enough to write.)

As the theme lately has been data interpretation, I found this sentence to be telling, and mention it also:

Loop Quantum Gravity . . . is now a leading approach to the goal of unifying general relativity with quantum physics.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Likely your forgetfulness means that you are free, free of the past, and free to do whatever you care about in the present. Perhaps this is what it means to be enlightened?

Andrew said...

Hmmm...

And it's funny the things I remember; although "I remember" doesn't seem like an accurate way to describe the experience. More like the memories bubbling up, tiny things that I hadn't thought of in years, and would have certainly thought I'd forgotten until they come rising up. Examples, recently: an emotion I felt in high school, a smell from when I was really young. Sometimes I can kind of trace the more conscious-level thoughts that led to the "forgotten" one; sometimes not.

This existence thing is interesting, is it not, when you start paying attention and try to stop using the shorthand of labels?

anonymous julie said...

Norman; welcome and hello. May be! I'm reluctant to throw around words like "enlightened" because they mean so many things to different people.

anonymous julie said...

Andrew;

Me too. There's a smell that makes me think "acorns" and remember my grandparents' backyard at the old house. I smelled it again a few weeks ago, for the first time in years.

I suspect that all my experiential data and knowledge is stored away, but that there is some limiting factor.

This existence thing is interesting, is it not, when you start paying attention and try to stop using the shorthand of labels?

Something about the question intrigues me. More on this from you, please?

One thought surfaces in response, but not an answer: it is what it is, not what you think it is.

Jim said...

Sorry to butt in, enjoying the talk, but that little paragraph in parenthesis, that is really huge!

Thanks for some fine postings, you are always on the Edge.