Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Re-evaluation

I used to wonder what I'd do if my apartment burned down, or something. Didn't used to care - a forced new start. It was more attractive to think of the junk I'd be rid of than the things I'd lose. (Architecture students can accumulate supplies and projects, and to top if off, I'm a ceramicist.) Andrew's comments on starting over brought that scenario to mind.

But it seems that my attitude's changed. There are the critters. And there are some things here that I enjoy having around. Not that stuff really matters. I'd manage, it'd just be sad. Mostly, it's interesting to note that my thoughts have changed. "I wonder what that means?" Of course I'm inclined to wonder, and listing theories is tempting. But they're theories. And then there's attachment.

It seems to me that attachment is really a double-edged sword. Attachment, expectation, suffering. Good mantra; incomplete. I've developed a soft spot for the building I'm charged with; the restoration/renovation project will be better because I care. So likewise with caring. Indifference isn't always the better part of wisdom; neither is caring or attachment. But they both have their place. Letting things go can keep one sane; caring can improve things, bring joy to life. Seems to be worth mentioning.

4 comments:

greenfrog said...

A dharma teacher once taught me that non-attachment did not mean never embracing.

For myself and my yoga students, I teach this, both for their asana practice on the mat, as well as their lives off the mat:

Receive
Embrace
Honor
Release

It seems to me that for some projects, the period of embrace is longer than for others, but every embrace eventually ends.

But I'm glad for things that benefit from sustained concentration and effort.

anonymous julie said...

Greenfrog - welcome! I very much like these observations. Hope you'll return. :)

night sky said...

"But it seems that my attitude's changed."

Funny how change surprises us, when it's such a basic aspect of life. My attitude on "stuff" and "junk" seems to have changed, too.

I enjoyed your post. I've been thinking about possessions lately. You took the subject in a different direction than I just did in my post today. I put a link to your post in mine; it seemed appropriate.

anonymous julie said...

Night Sky - I enjoyed your post. (Here's a link!) Getting rid of junk has definitely helped me. It does take surprisingly little to get by. My kitchen comes to mind - just enough. It's nice :)