Monday, July 02, 2007

Maybe it's not like that.

Note: I actually wrote this on the 28th, but today's post by Andrew provided a nudge of inspiration; here ya go.

Lately, I've viewed everything as constructions and playthings.

Maybe it's not really like that.

But I'm willing to admit that maybe that's just the explanation that best allows me to hold loosely, touch lightly. Maybe it's just the explanation that best allows me to stay sane. And maybe that explanation doesn't work for other people.

Some people, not all probably, but some, do that. (Maybe all. I don't know.) People just do what they have to, in order to find some grounding, in order to be able to function. It's all just constructions, but we are (or at least I am) so accustomed to working with constructions, that when they're all revealed to be at best a house of cards, there's nothing - lost, drifting. I don't want to reconstruct anything, knowing it would be a lie, but the need for sanity prevails.

I've gotten accustomed to the nothing, and sometimes the lack of implied purpose still bothers me at times. And I, by nature, am conceptual and process oriented. I somehow find the common thread and can summarize anything. So I do.

My analogies are just another interpretation of the data. I know that. I'm okay with it.

7 comments:

jbmoore said...

Why are you worried about your sanity? Isn't that an indication in itself that you are sane? Your subconscious or spirit or whatever you choose to call it knows why you are here. It is to awaken and fulfill your purpose for existing in the here and now.

If you were an animal like a cat, no such thoughts would cross your mind. You'd just be content to exist and enjoy the now, and perhaps finagle a treat from a human. Why can't people be happy with what they have now?

Andrew said...

Thanks for deciding to post this; it was good for me to read it.

We do just try to make sense of the data before us; in fact, most people don't even do that; they just accept someone else's interpretation of it.

Being reminded of the provisional nature of it all, of the space between the name and the named, is strangely grounding and loosing at the same time.

anonymous julie said...

John,

I'm unconcerned with my sanity. With amusement I note that you think everyone's purpose is to find and fulfill said purpose.
Who knows what the felines are up to. They are strange creatures. We probably are to them, too.

Do you think I'm not happy with what I have now, or are you making a general observation?

anonymous julie said...

A,

I'm glad that helped.

You're right; most people accept what they're handed. And then when an event doesn't fit the system... well.

Being reminded of the provisional nature of it all, of the space between the name and the named, is strangely grounding and loosing at the same time.

Well said.

jbmoore said...

I was making a general observation with the last statement. Happy 4th!

jbmoore said...

BTW, our purpose must be to awaken if it's the next stage of evolution for mankind, otherwise, mankind will fade away and something else will take our place, but then it would just be our consciousness assuming another form to awaken in should we fail this time. I'm guessing that is why there's been a progression of Homo species leading up to us, but what follows us, Homo sapiens? Many wonder, but only God knows.

anonymous julie said...

John, you're a good example of your own general question. Why can't people be happy with what they have now? Instead - awaken! advance mankind! Why can't people be happy with what they have now?