Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pool of cool water and the Zen of cycling.

This evening I rode home from work. I stayed until nearly 7, dashing away from an in-house meeting just in time to retrieve my bike before the station locked up for the night. (This, of course, meant a different mix of path-users than the rush hour group dominated by bike commuters just trying to get home, and accustomed to riding.)

A mile into the ride, just north of Chicago Ave, along the lake, I had a wonderful experience: I wish the memory were as good as the original.

As I inhaled the lake air, smelling wonderfully fresh, a really cool breeze wrapped itself around me. The tactile experience, combined with the smell, felt, for a moment, just as though I'd dived into a pool of cool clear water. Then, as quickly as I could recognize the sensation, the breeze shifted, warmed, smelt of nothing, and it was over.

I couldn't help but think of Mother Theresa's breath of fresh air, five weeks of joy amidst a long dark night. Those sorts of moments are so precious, yet so few. Perhaps if there were more, they'd mean less. Perhaps.

The other thing I wanted to write about, for the last days really, is the mindset I find myself in while cycling.

Going in to work, there's little traffic, and nearly all are experienced path-travellers, each in their own world, many commuting to work. It becomes a race against the clock, an endurance activity. Sprint after rest after sprint; my ride starts with a street warmup, some twisty path, then the first of three straight "sprint" sections, each separated by some more twisty (at 20mph) narrow path, then the final run into the city. I know where I'll start feeling fatigue, when I do. The game of coaxing my tired body to perform is entirely mental.

The ride home is a true Zen exercise. The phrase that means "skillful means" comes to mind. There are others; I don't use the vocabulary and can't remember them. The path is crowded at times with pedestrians, casual riders, skaters. Lots of people unaware of their surroundings; I'm the fastest one out there, and watch traffic in both directions, endlessly assessing risk, calculating whether I can pass one roadblock before the one going the opposite direction approaches, observing who might be inexperienced and walk across my path or weave into it, ready on the brakes, with a yell, or a bit of silent avoidance.

(If you've ever been buzzed by a cyclist, chances are that the results of a split second calculation were that more danger would be created by alerting you of their presence than of silently passing.)

The challenge of fatigue isn't there; I'm awake, fed, fresh, ready, with seemingly unlimited power to accelerate off any light or slowdown.

I'm prepared for anything, thinking of everything, at the same time, thinking of nothing, watching, ready, watching, watching. When something happens I move smoothly, calmly, moving with my obstacle as I overtake it.

Similarly with cars, except that if anything goes wrong, I'll end up in the hospital. I am as calm as on the path, but the risks are higher, and the calm seems eerie. Sometimes I ride up Lincoln Ave. Cars do the damndest things; they just don't realize that people are in the bike lane and that if it's blocked, they've nowhere to go. I'm hardly shy about planting myself in the middle of a lane (if cars see me they will not hit me) when that's more likely to keep me in one piece, but I do outpace cars because they wait in line for lights and I march to the front of the line. Green means go.

But there's parallel parking on each side of the street. And it's rush hour.

I find myself with an utterly empty mind, even while I ride hard, analyze my speed, traffic, anticipate whatever I'll have to avoid. And yet, empty mind, utterly alert. It's the Zen of cycling.

4 comments:

Trevor Harden said...

I don't have anything to say about this - at least not a response anyway - except to say reading your post was in itself a pool of cool water for me this morning. If your architectural and ceramic-al tendencies ever give out, you've got a career waiting in writing.

I know a lot of people that sail through life and don't ever really live. At least from a distance, it appears you are FAR from one of those people. (How can you not be alive on those commutes?)

And that's awesome.

anonymous julie said...

Trev, I'm glad you enjoyed my writing. I'm not sure it makes as much sense now as it did last night (and I'd had a bit of wine after a long day, at that), but I'll let it stand.

You're right, I'm a long way from sailing blandly through life. I haven't struck a good balance between being as much at peace as I like to be, and being driven.

Jon said...

Hi, Julie,

Loved the post... both of your subjects spoke to me. The brief but distinct sensation of cool air, reminded me of my first experiences of angels.

The very first one was when a friend and I were praying together ... Suddenly a very powerful fragrance of roses filled the room. It was so striking I even checked the door and window to see if it wss coming from there, but it wasn't. It lasted as long as we were praising God, and faded when we began praying for other needs.

Another time I was walking down a hallway at a Messianic synagogue... And passed through a happy ball of invisible warm air about 3 ft. in diameter. What??? Can't explain it. But I know its size, shape, and that it was orange, although of course I couldn't see it. And it was very, very HAPPY.

Over the next ten years or so I continued to have experiences like these, which I began to recognize as sngels.

Your other subject, the Zen of speed biking, reminded of the very first paper I wrote in college, which compared defensive driving to karate... Yeah, I know where you're coming from.

No-mind rules.

anonymous julie said...

Jon, nice. Angels. That's a thought. Generally I think martial arts (when you get down to it) are applied spirituality... sounds like you had a similar approach.