Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Joy?

This is a response to Trev's comment on my last post about cycling. I was going to leave it in the comments section, but am really curious about others' experiences with joy and everyday life.

I'm certainly alive on those commutes, but there's not a lot of joy in it. Just the intensity. I miss the joy. But joy isn't readily caught, doesn't perform for one's expectations, just shows up every now and again.

At some times I would have argued that it's in mindset, in being open to finding joy. Now it doesn't seem so easy.


These are really just thoughts off the top of my head. What are yours?

6 comments:

jbmoore said...

It could just be a physiological response. You are addicted to your endorphins and the physical exercise does stimulate endorphin production. As addictions go, it's a very healthy addiction and it'd nice if more people did it. I miss biking to my job, but it's impractical and dangerous now for me to attempt something like that. Texas is not biker friendly.

anonymous julie said...

When you break it down enough, anything's just a physiological response. But no, that's really not it.

Jim said...

Lol, Joy to the World, etc.

Mark said...

It's like a relationship with a person I suppose. Even the most joyful person isn't like that all the time, but that doesn't matter so much if there is something deeper than joy. When I look back to some of the most joyful experiences, I have to say they are quite shallow - simply because I got so caught up in the joy and didn't really look past it.

greenfrog said...

In my life, joy seems to just happen sometimes. Unless I've deluded myself (again), though, it seems to happen more when I'm in that sweet spot of light-hearted by clear-minded focus on something, whether a yoga pose, a legal brief, or a post-rush hour commute.

anonymous julie said...

Thanks Jim.

Mark, which Mark are you? That's an interesting perspective... have to think about it more.

Greenfrog, nice to see you again! That's a nice description too. :)