Friday, January 18, 2008

Chuang-Tzu - and Julie, too.

The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish. When the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten.
The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten.
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the ideas are forgotten.
Where can I find a person who has forgotten words? That person is the one I would like to talk to.


Another translation:

The fish-trap is a tool to catch fish. Once the fish is caught, the fish-trap is forgotten. A rabbit-snare is a tool to catch rabbits. Once the rabbit is caught, the snare is forgotten. Language is a tool to hold ideas. Once ideas are conveyed, language is forgotten. Where on earth could I find a person who has forgotten words to have a word with him?


I want this post to be about what's conveyed, but add here a word of discussion. The second quote is provided because I suspect it's truer to the original, and that the first was mistyped. But the first quote has a little bite - which I enjoy and find humorous - so I prefer the first version.

4 comments:

V said...

A little bit.

jbmoore said...

?!....!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!!....<*!!!!!!!!*>.....
<3!!!!....hahaha!!!!!!!!

anonymous julie said...

Siegfried - maybe?

Jon said...

A little byte.