Friday, September 05, 2008

I miss play.

A few things have reminded me of this.

First, I spent some time talking with a friend a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly, as we laughed about something, he said, there's that twinkle again! He likes the impish twinkle in my eye. (Okay, impish is the wrong word, but I'm at a loss for the right one.) And I love the smile that lights up his face, which returned around the same time. At least for a few minutes. Summer's been wearing on both of us.

Second, one of my coworkers and I will sometimes goof around. It's always something that wouldn't be funny in writing, but in the moment, it gets him smiling. He has these sweet lines around his eyes when he smiles - signs it's not an unfamiliar expression. It hasn't happened much this summer, but we do still occasionally connect for a few seconds here and there.

Third, my favorite structural engineer has been unhappy lately. He likes to complain, but it's been the frustrated type as opposed to the good natured type. He's not usually like that, which is why I call him Sunshine. I miss my happy engineer.

Fourth, one of my studio mates has had a lot of stress in his life, his finances as well as his finance suddenly quitting her job (and not immediately finding another). He hasn't been himself in awhile.

Life seems to be heavy on everyone, these days.

6 comments:

Jim said...

Yes, so it is.

jbmoore said...

Julie,

There's a recession on. It's tough all over depending on where you live. The Buddhists say that Life is a struggle, though it's really a game or play, but many of us take it way too seriously. So, bring 2 or three nerf guns into work and share them with your colleagues. It'll brighten their days, help relieve stress, and help work be a bit more playful. Or you can bring a couple of those cheap micro helicopters in as gifts. When it gets stressful, you'll hear helicopters flying and crashing. Just a suggestion.

John

night sky said...

Hi Julie,

I don't think I've been around to read your blog in quite a while; what great posts are on this front page now!

Life here is rather heavy at times, too--several Major Life Changes going on at once. Yet play is a subject dear to my heart, and I was glad to see someone else aware of it and writing of it.

Going off now for an evening walk--maybe I'll even skip a little on the downhill parts. :-)

Wishing you a good rest-of-the-weekend,

Jodi

Culture Vulture said...

Julie
Have you read any of the works of the Situationists?
They talked a lot about play.

anonymous julie said...

Thanks, Jim.

John, I like the idea of bringing toys to work. Perhaps I shall. My engineer's in another office, of course, but more clowning will help us all.

Joy, I'm truly glad that you're back. What's new with you?

Culture Venture, welcome to the blog and thank you for your comment. I haven't heard of the Situationists - but I'd welcome a couple names and titles, if you're so inclined!

V said...

I enjoy learning about other people and their lives.