Sunday, September 07, 2008

Don't Postpone Joy

Someone discussed my title phrase, found on a bumper sticker, on their own blog. Her name was Joy, so for her it was a reminder not to dally, as well as not to put off the good stuff.

Of course, it's the time-balance thing again. But I'll be happier if I play more, so I'm going to do a little less office work, or at least start my day a little earlier, so I have more time to do ceramics during the week evenings. Then on the weekends I can go play for a day, if I like.

Yesterday I went skydiving. It may become a habit. (It will, if I can afford it.)

This morning I returned a friend's call. We're going to get our kayaks and head out to the river and catch up on things, just as soon as I can get some breakfast.

Yes, I need to get to the studio. But, first things first. Playtime.

6 comments:

Jon said...

First things first, indeed!

Trevor Harden said...

Playtime!

I'm quite sure mine, however, will never include skydiving. Can't think of 1 thing I'd desire to do LESS. Glad you enjoyed it though!

V said...

Forever young two!

Hayden said...

Good for you! I think kayaks are one of the best toys there is, they seem to encourage silliness - at least they do in me.

I've been inviting play back into my life this year - it's been gone too long.

isaiah said...

I was thinking tonight while driving out to Tybee beach how all that's familiar to me doesn't hold the same excitement... particularly the geography I see day after day. I love driving out into the Georgia countryside and losing myself on back roads.. and exploring new places, new people...

...I'm heading out to San Fran next week and really looking forward to everything, everything being new- a new experience all the time.

Sky-diving- now that's exciting. Think I'll make a goal of experiencing it soon. I have ALWAYS wanted to experience that. Whitewater kayaking and rafting... that's also exhilarating!

anonymous julie said...

I've found that scale makes a difference... the walk home from the studio, I've done it hundreds of times, can still be magical if only I open my eyes and observe what's around me.

As can the walk to work from the train (1.25 miles) if the air is anything special.